Lobo Wolves Photograph Collection
Gap, PA (1930-1931)
In the early 1900s, during the United States and Canadian governments' campaign to exterminate wolves from the American wilderness, Dr. E. H. McCleery of Kane, Pennsylvania purchased more than 20 live wolves from the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains (which he called "lobo wolves"). His "wolf farm," where he raised, bred, and exhibited his wolves for 41 years, became a popular tourist destination and ultimately saved the subspecies from extinction.
In 1930 Dr. McCleery established a secondary wolf park between Gap and Coatesville, PA where he exhibited 25 adult wolves, while the rest were kept and bred at his main wolf park along Route 6, five miles east of Kane, PA. The Gap wolf park failed however, and most of the wolves were shot when it closed at the end of 1931.
More Photo Galleries:
Kane, PA (1921 - 1929)
Between Gap and Coatesville, PA (1930 - 1931)
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 1
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 2
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 3
Gardiner, WA (1972 - 1980)