Lobo Wolves Photograph Collection
Kane, PA (1921-1929)
In the early 1900s, during the United States and Canadian governments' campaign to exterminate wolves from the American wilderness, Dr. E. H. McCleery of Kane, Pennsylvania purchased more than 20 live wolves from the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains (which he called "lobo wolves"). His "wolf farm," where he raised, bred, and exhibited his wolves for 41 years, became a popular tourist destination and ultimately saved the subspecies from extinction.
Between 1921 and 1929 Dr. McCleery kept his wolves within the town limits of Kane, PA. In 1929 he moved his wolf park to a larger location five miles out of Kane along Route 6.
More Photo Galleries:
Kane, PA (1921 - 1929)
Between Gap and Coatesville, PA (1930 - 1931)
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 1
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 2
Route 6, between Kane and Mt. Jewett, PA (1929 - 1972) - PAGE 3
Gardiner, WA (1972 - 1980)